Monday, February 20, 2012

3 letters create so much darn controversy!


Hopefully by now you are well aware of BPA and all of its hazards. 
If not, than lucky for you, I have done some of the boring research for you! Until a year or so ago I didn’t know what BPA even stood for (bisphenol-A) and I sure as heck didn’t know why we weren’t supposed to have it or even what it is in. Aside from seeing a surge of BPA free baby bottles and hearing from my girlfriends that those were now the only exceptable ones to use. I was clueless and honestly didn’t mind. Then I started noticing BPA free Tupperware and my wheels started spinning!  What is this 3 letter thing and why is it being taken out of everything? To spare you the big words and yawn provoking explanations BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 60’s. Some researchers believe that it is linked to cancer, diabetes and obesity to name a few.  In January of 2010 the FDA said it was concerned about BPA and our exposure should be limited. That’s all fine and dandy but its 2012 and most of us are still unknowingly serving infants, kids and ourselves BPA laden products on a regular basis. I myself was shocked to find out just where this cancer causing chemical was lurking! Here I was thinking that I was being healthy by keeping my pantry stocked with canned items such as beans and tomatoes so I could whip up a quick dinner on a busy week night but I never knew I was serving up a side dish of chemicals with our chili. While stores like Kroger have recently BANNED BPA from all of their store brand products including Kroger, Value Brand, Private Selection, Comforts, Mirra, Active Lifestyle and Fresh Selections. Other stores like Whole Foods still use and defend the chemical.  For the most up to date list that I have found on BPA free canned goods visit: http://guide.thesoftlanding.com/bpa-free-canned-food-options/

A tasty and EASY way to use up some of the BPA FREE can goods that you are going to run out and buy, is to make White Bean Turkey Chili from one of my fave healthy websites Skinnytaste.com

No comments:

Post a Comment