Monday, February 13, 2012

The Beginning

I am channel surfing…there is NOTHING on. I have seen every episode of every Housewife & Perez can no longer hold my attention since he has gone soft. I can’t stand “the doctors“, but today’s show entitled “what’s in our food” looks promising. I knew I would get angry with the knowledge I was about to acquire but I was not prepared for visceral reaction that I felt. Wanting more and not sure if I should whole heartedly believe what I heard, I headed to the internet. I think it’s obvious that it wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine.

The laundry list of chemicals that are in our food could make you wish you were anorexic. The problem is that I have been here before.  As a fast food junkie in a college nutrition class (I can now count on 2 hands how many times I have had fast food in 4 years) After I watched FOOD INC. (some questioned if I had been paid by the way I begged any and everyone to watch.) Following the FOOD REVOLUTION (you wouldn’t offer a child a candy bar everyday so why chocolate milk???)  I would get so excited to educate and change the world but my friends and family would basically roll their eyes at me. So feeling defeated, the anger and the commitment to the cause would usually fade. This time it is different. Maybe it’s because I am knocking on “30’s” door, or that I need something to focus my ever wandering mind on, or simply that I am no longer willing to be a bystander. I know that I CAN change and if I can, you CAN too. Nothing is hard, it’s just new!

 “One person can make a difference, and everyone should try” –John F. Kennedy.

So this is me trying.


5 comments:

  1. So excited to follow your blog! Love you, Sis! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Carnation Good Start, it's like chocolate milk but filled with vitamins? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start Jess, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, your blog is adorable! Look forward to all your posts! xoxox

    ReplyDelete