Friday, March 22, 2013

Let them eat cake!


A few weeks ago it was my Husbands 30th birthday! I had grand plans in my head to combine all of his favorite things into the most decadent dessert ever. (or maybe I had been watching too much cupcake wars..who really knows) I wanted to surprise him by making chocolate stout cupcakes with a peanut butter frosting and bacon sprinkles. I was apparently so excited that i didn't really plan the party to serve them at. I know you are thinking EPIC wife fail but the real person to blame is him! Plus, it turned out to be a blessing and not a curse for many many reasons. Since you cant really make cupcakes for 2  the poor guy went cakeless for his birthday. Before you feel too bad for the guy we had plans to have a birthday dinner with the fam the next night. He was going to get those cupcakes if it was the last thing I did. That is until, I remembered that his entire family had gone gluten free...including myself. I was new (and still am) to GF and was not prepared to make it by scratch with all those crazy ingredients. I struggled with what to do for several hrs. I KNEW he DID NOT want GF cupcakes but I didn't see any other way. I drove to the store and did what I never do. I did what I tell people all the time to never do. I bought chocolate GF cake mix.. To some of you that sounds horrible and to others that sounds normal. I personally felt wrong buying it. Cake mix doesn't fit anywhere into my clean eating way of thinking but it happend. oh well. move on. I also had to leave out the stout part because well, thats not GF either. I topped the cakes with a basic buttercream that I added about a 1/2 cup of Peanut butter too and sprinkled some finely chopped organic bacon on top. I thought the frosting and bacon were delicious but both my husband and I were too stuffed from dinner to actually try a cupcake. 
Go figure.

a few days ago I got the the new issue of Food Network Magazine and in there were a couple GF cakes that dont require xanthum gum or other strange ingredients so I thought that I would share. Next time I am in need of a cake I think I will give one of these a try.

Picture of Hazelnut-Mocha Dacquoise Recipe

Picture of Flourless Chocolate Torte Recipe


Unfortunately these cakes do have refined sugar and I would not call them clean but they are Gluten Free. 
Currently, I have to pick my battles. You know what they say:
You cant have your cake and eat it too. 

Happy Weekend EVERYONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment