Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Adjusting sails & Naked Enchiladas



I saw this on pinterest this morning and thought "Hey! That's me!" then I realized that Hey, that's EVERYONE that walks this planet. Some storms are or just feel bigger than others. This current stage of my life can feel at times like a never ending Katrina like storm. Just like the good folks of New Orleans (home to where our favorite team the Baltimore Ravens just WON the Super Bowl!!!!) FEMA isn't going to come save me. So with a smile on my face I will adjust my sails and move forward. 

When I decided to go with a real food lifestyle I decided that I would do my best to eat mostly plants and only eat hormone free, grass fed and or organic meat. Which intern means I eat a lot less meat because well, that stuff is expensive! I have been replacing a lot of those animals with beans and whole grains. Here is where the storm comes in...I have struggled with Endometriosis for the last 17ish years. Although I am fairly symptomatic free at this point. Nothing a bottle of wine, a boiling bath and a few pain killers can't handle! Which is much better than the monthly trips to the ER, morphine, surgeries and drug educed menopause of the past. But it seems that even though I feel better, this little not researched enough autoimmune disease may still be affecting my fertility. After some research it seems that some have seen great benefits by changing their diet and following a low carb/paleo and or gluten free lifestyle. Which is all fine an dandy except when you realize that all of these diets rely heavily on meat....which I don't love...and is so very expensive when you can only eat "real" meat. Food is such an important part of my life. I am not the person that can live off salads and chicken. This may get a little tricky as I will be adopting this new food lifestyle alone. I will try my best to come up with a plan that works for me. I think it will be heavily paleo but I have to be honest and say that I plan to incorporate some gluten free grains and beans. It can't hurt to give this a try :)

Yesterday I was menu planning for the month (will do a post on that later) and searching for ideas when I found this recipe on skinnytaste.com. I Love Gina and check her site frequently for recipes and inspiration.  This one could not have come at a more perfect time because we were both craving chicken enchiladas. I lined up my little boats right next to my husbands whole wheat tortilla roll ups and poured my own homemade enchilada sauce over it all. They baked up perfect and I recommend you all to try them. I skipped the blanching stage and baked them at 425 for about 40 mins. The best part is I have another tray in the freezer for later in the month and I can't wait. 

stay tuned for more real food favorites and ways to make them low carb friendly. Tonight we are trying a new pinterest recipe for philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers. fingers crossed its a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Jess, Loved this. I love that quote, it sums up so much of life. Adjusting our sails, and paving a new path. I love when you share your recipes too. This looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete